We often get asked to go to picnic BBQ’s, and quite frankly, all the fuss and taking dirty dishes home annoys me! But this simple combination takes away all of the fuss and you have a delicious lunch!
We recently spent a week house sitting on Coochie Mudlo Island. We did a lot of sailing on Toccata and we had a BBQ on the beach just by our house, which is where we tried it out!
- A nice camembert or brie, in a box
- A few sprigs of rosemary or thyme
- A head of garlic
- Four small or two large fillets of garfish, per person
- Four slices of bread, per person
Before you leave for the picnic, butter the bread, and wrap the garlic in foil with a little olive oil and black pepper. Remove the cheese from the box, remove all of the packaging. Use a knife to put six wholes in the top, and stuff with rosemary or thyme. Then put it back in the box. I then pack it all in our Biome lunchboxes. Now you are organised!
Start the BBQ and get it hot. Cooking times (working backwards for when you would like to eat) are approximately as follows:
- 30 minutes – put garlic on the BBQ.
- 15 minutes – put cheese box on the BBQ.
- 5 minutes – put some butter on the BBQ and fry the garfish in it. Put the bread butter side down and brown, then flip.
- 0 minutes – Remove the garlic from the foil. Cut across the top of the head and squeeze it out. Spread on two of the pieces of toast (per person) then cut the toast into soldiers, to dip into the molten cheese. With the other two pieces of toast, make a sandwich with the garfish.
Open the Rosé or Riesling and enjoy the lack of washing up!
Happy Friday! Have a great weekend.